Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Black Star Tour - my review

Yesterday my friend Remco and I went to see Avril avigne's Black Star Tour at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam. I've been waiting to see Avril play live for a couple of years now basically since her first album Let Go came out in 2002, so I was really looking forward to this show. And let me set the record straight before we go any further: she killed it! I've been hearing reports she wasn't very good at singing live in the past, but no matter if that's true or not, she was in excellent shape this time around.

When we arrived at trainstation Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA, there was a huge (and I mean HUGE) line to get into the Heineken Music Hall, and since we weren't planning to try and get to the front row anyway, we decided to have a beer in the adjacent bar first. After about half an hour the line was gone, so we went in and had a couple of more drinks at the foyer. We skipped the opening act, since usually opening acts suck big time, so we entered the concert hall just a couple of minutes before Avril's show started.

Opening with Black Star and What The Hell, the tone of the evening was immediately set: fun uptempo songs, coupled with great ballads. The audience was loving it and very enthousiastic, and Avril was, by the look of it, having a great time herself as well.

My favorite songs of the evening were When Your Gone and My Happy Ending, and she played them both very well. All in all, a great show, and whenever she comes back to the Netherlands, I'll be there again as well! I'll try and post some videos from last night's show later today!

No comments:

 
Free counter and web stats